Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Internal Conflict: WHY DID I SIGN UP FOR TWO RACES THIS WEEKEND?!?!

 So I know I slacked off and didn't post my delish meal pictures or my exciting recap from yesterday's snow day, but that was because the computer is still being used for taxes so me and my camera are mourning the withdrawl from lack of camera uploads, and I didn't feel like posting without any pretty pictures to tell my stories. However, today was just too chock-full of Runner's Rambles not to post.
  SO yesterday's workout:
20 minute warm up with pickups
3x5 40 sec 8.5, 20 sec 6.0, 2:00 EZ in between sets
21 minute cool down
  I got up late to do this, since I didn't have school thanks to the four inches of white stuff that fell that night. Normally, I am all for waking up early to get my run in, but yesterday my body was begging for some extra sleep. (I also may have wanted to wait til 9 o'clock when all the cooking shows come on... Hello Food Wars!) Only problem? When I woke up, I couldn't decided to eat before the workout, or skip it and risk tummy grumbles midway through the miles. Solution?


Yummm. I love these things; they are the only runner fuel that never upsets my stomach, no matter how soon after eating them I run. Yesterday, I ate one, and an hour later was doing my workout, no stomach problems whatsoever!
  I spent the rest of the day doing homework, sleeping, and reading blogs. In my opinion, a snow day well spent. The evening workout totally wore out my legs, and I was definitely feeling the aftereffects this morning:
-45 minutes speed work on bike
-30 minutes of strength on level 10 on elliptical
-45 minutes of leg strength, including lateral lunges, reaching lunges, burpees, single leg squats, etc. Those burpees were KILLER

   After that, this morning my legs were screaming at me a little bit- I yet again depleted my salt and didn't get enough purple sludge. I am going to try salting my food instead of eating so many pretzels and drinking so much gatorade, since frankly, I am extremely tired of both of those parts of my diet.
  Speaking of diet... Has anyone ever read this magazine? It simultaneously makes me want to re-vamp my diet, cook organically, and scold myself for eating processed food (though truthfully, the only processed stuff I eat is granola, pretzels, and rice pudding). I read the January issue while on the elliptical today since I forgot my ear phones, and it inspired me to do some research into finding the ultimate "training diet" to up my salt and energy and decrease the bloating I sometimes experience. I am seeing an afternoon spent at the library's nutrition section very soon...


  And now onto the Internal Conflict! I signed up for an indoor triathlon on Saturday, and a 10-miler on Sunday. I know I will be able to handle both races, but I am a little worried since they are only 15 hours apart.... and I have to leave for the 10-miler at 6:30, which means I have to get up at 5, eat at 6, and somehow be awake by the time the race starts... My coach thinks I can handle it, so I guess I should have the same confidence in myself, but I am just wondering if I will be able to handle going all out in the pool for 10 minutes, the bike for 30, and the treadmill for 20, then go eat,sleep, and run 10 miles at a sub-eight minute pace on hills. I guess I better break out the Runner Super-Woman mental preparation. I've actually thought of getting the symbol tattooed if I ever qualify for Boston or Kona, to remind myself I am, in fact, a SuperWoman.
Of course, if I got a tattoo before 21 my parents would pee themselves, but I can dream, can't I?
And now I leave you to go continue my date with my foam roller (official love-hate relationship with that thing... It hurts so good!) and watch an intense episode of House.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment