Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Burned, Bitten, But not Belittled!

Recap of this week:
Wednesday: Swimming in the morning with a 50yd PR, what what!!! 37.3 seconds, baby! My goal is sub 37 by the end of the summer, but I'm really hoping for a 35. That would be A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I also had to kick my own butt in a solo spin class because I had YET ANOTHER work meeting that evening. Luckily, it was only a half-hour long, so I got in my weekly venting run-walk session with my friend Morgan. Our pace is always super slow and we often walk at least 1 mile of the total of 4 we do each week, but it's a chance for us to scream out our frustrations and make each other laugh 'til we pee ourselves while everyone on the campus we run around stares at us. What could be better!?
 
   Thursday: Full body weights in the morning, core in the evening, 20 minutes of yoga (who am I? Doing yoga willingly?!), 4 miles of what was supposed to be an 8-miler. Half-done, you say? Slackin' off!?! Well, unbeknownst to me, it was 95 degrees outside. Somehow, the sweat that had been dripping down my back all day didn't strike me as an indication that perhaps I should run inside and escape the soupy air that surrounded my hometown. Luckily, my good running buddy Michele knew better, and saw me on the run and proceeded to berate me for being insane and then drive me home, after talking races and running for 20 minutes. Honestly, that was way more enjoyable than the other 6.5 miles I had left would have been, plus I got to go home and run another 2.5 while watching The Hills. AND I did another 4 and more lifting when I got home from my Senior Awards Ceremony! At 9 o'clock! With TCBY fresh in my belly! AND I FELT AMAZING.
  
  Friday: I went to swim practice and asked my coach for an easier workout since I was racing the next day. He responded with laughter. Then he gave me a pull buoy. So, I did 5x 500 with "fast" portions done with the pull buoy and "smooth" portions done with normal freestyle. Not too bad, but the underwater speakers weren't loud enough so I couldn't totally jam out like I normally do with long sets. The rest of the day was SO. HECTIC. You would think that with high school ending, I would have less to do, but oh no, I think Friday was possibly the busiest day of my life.
Breakdown:
-Senior Breakfast
-Senior Slideshow
-Grad Rehearsal
-Pick-up for Grad. Tickets
-Drive to country club to fill out lifeguard forms (oh yeah.. I now have three jobs...)
-Drive home, eat lunch
-Drive back to school, pick up painting and painting supplies
-Drive home, pack for Chestertown
-Check emails from Coach/Boss
-Nap
-Leave for C-town

 Driving to Chestertown invovled me yelling at my Dad's GPS because it did not understand that we DID NOT want to go through multiple states during what was supposed to be a one and a half hour trip. I named it Linda because I figured it would be easier to yell at an inanimate object if it has a name. "YOU SUCK, LINDA" sounds a lot more forceful than "YOU SUCK, MAGELLAN GPS."

Today:
Wake-up at 5:40 to screeching violin music. My Dad loves him some classical music, and usually I do, too, but HOLY CRAP WAS THAT STUFF ANNOYING. I may have been a bit cranky and slapped the radio until it turned off... Then I got up and enjoyed the B-fast of Champs, aka Chicks that PR in 85 degree weather: 2 Shot Bloks and 1 Mountain Blackberry Hammer Gel, with some Orange-Vanilla Perpetuem to wash it all down.
(Yes, you read that correctly, PR BABY. BY THREE MINUTES. AND SECOND IN MY AGE GROUP.). side note: came in at almost the same time as my old Bio teacher. Who is like 34. I still take pride in this..
  The race itself was awesome, if not so flat I wanted to slap myself in the face for yet again not choosing something with some declines to give the ol' legs a break. It was a loop around the town, with ample amounts of farmland. Which I am so sick of. Third race in a row with farmland as the main scenery. Upside? It smelled like honeysuckle for 5 miles. Downside: Almost. No. Hills.
   Probably the best part, though, was running with my Dad for the first mile and a half. He did the 5k, and I was giddy just running next to him. My Dad is my running inspiration: he is 53, can go weeks without running, and come home after running 3 miles at an 8:30 pace and make it look easy-peasy.
   Also awesome? Beating the other redhead who ran neck-and-neck with me the last mile. Not that I am competitive or anything...

The rest of the day we picked up my award, walked around town, bought my Mom some belated b-day gifts (garden gnome and iridescent freshater pearl necklace. Winning combination), ate lunch, got more food for the way home because after races I turn into a bottomless pit, then hit the road because OH HEY I HAD TO WORK AT FOUR. Hope the other guards didn't mind that I hadn't had a full shower since Thursday... I mean, I washed off in the bushes after the race.. that counts, right???


  Now, because I am a genius and washed off all my sunscreen, I am sitting here, sunburned with 2 different distinct tan lines, and I have a huge mosquito bite ON MY FOREHEAD from eating rice pudding outside after work. I think I'll go foam roll and pretend my arms aren't the same color as my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment