Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2011

Whirlwind Weekend

Ten miler tomorrow. 5 am wakeup call. Race starts at 7:30 am. I work until 9. Prediction of total sleeping time for tonight? 7 hours. MAX.

Now, they always say that the sleep you get two nights before your race is actually the most important, since most people can never really sleep that well the night before a race. Finally, the running Gods smiled down on me and blessed me with a FREAKIN' AWESOME 11-miler last night followed closely by the best night's sleep that I have had in maybe two weeks, so I should be rearin' to go tomorrow morning, or at least coherent enough to talk to my carpool buddies.
   I started last night's run around 7 o'clock, just when the sky was getting scary and dark due to impending storms. Inclement weather doesn't stop this chica, though (ok, I did spend my entire winter training indoors... but I now hate the dreadmill so much that not even 3 episodes of The Hills could make me stay inside for my long run), so I hustled on over to the college where I swim to run their loop approximately 4 billion times (actually, it was only 8, and after 3 loops, I kinda just got in the zone). It helped that I just put new jams on my shuffle, so I got to listen to some Weezy and Jay-Z to distract myself from the nawing ache in my calves.
  WHAT, CALF PAIN?!??! Definitely due to the "easy" spin I did earlier yesterday in my basement. I put the trainer on the incline position of the box for the front wheel, so I was still sweating and pumping despite the so-called easy pace.
    I decided to actually be a smart athlete and eat after my run, instead of just chugging Recoverite and calling it a night like 2 weeks ago, when I ran 13 miles and basically took in almost no calories afterwards and had the strangest hunger dreams of my life. This time, I sipped Recoverite and had a full-blown dinner. My body thanked me properly by conking out as soon as I hit the pillow.
  Then, this morning, I woke up and realized that Oh, crap, it's Friday. That means a ridiculous swim workout. My Coach did not disappoint, and gave us a set that would have totaled 5400yds. This ended up being overly ambitious, though, as 7:30 rolled around and we weren't even near half-way done the last set of 4x400 descending and 4x100 pace. The only other girl there and I (why is it that I am always the last one left? Dedication? Crazyness? Lack of anything better to do in the morning?) decided that doing 2 of the 400s and all the pace work sounded like a good idea, since we wanted to have time left over to work on my flip turns, which on a given day can be either stellar or horrible all over the place. I stuffed a buoy between my legs for the 400's, because I want to have some juice left in the gams for tomorrow (though now I htink my shoulders will die, given the lateral raises I did Wednesday plus all the buoy work), and swam my batooty off for the 100's pace.
   Now, my legs have that awesome jello feeling, I am sitting here doing my version of carboloading (include as many different types of rice-related foods in your diet in one day):
-brown rice flour: check
-rice chips:check
-brown rice: (for dinner) check
-rice cereal: on its way to being a check

  And I have to go find my lifeguarding suit because I have an 8 hour shift today. Oh joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment