Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

At Least My Abs Don't Hurt

Things that are sore right now:                
1. Arms
2. Quads (what else is new?)
3. Calves
4. Butt (oh aluminum frame, how I wish you were carbon!!)

    My Dad often says that pain is a reminder that you are alive, and as long as the pain is limited to a dull ache, I like to follow the same philosophy, but 3 days in a row of leg soreness and I am starting to get a wee bit... irritated. Coupled with the fact that I have no idea how to foam roll my quads, that I shun Tylenol, and that I cannot for the life of me get a restful night's sleep, and the last few days have been what you might call rough. I love when training gets more intense, as it has this week, but when I am having to take two naps a day just to make it through both workouts, my confidence in my abilities starts to wan. It's a terrible feeling to mentally crave a workout, while physically feeling less than stellar. I know deep down that I have the strength and endurance to do any and all workouts that my coach gives me, but sometimes, my body would rather take that 2 hour nap than do speed intervals. So, today, I compromised. I took the 2 hour nap AND did the speed intervals. At 8:30 pm. With my Dad. In the dark. AND IT WAS AWESOME.
   The only way to truly remedy the dragging feeling I am dealing with, I guess, is to look forward to the rest day coming up, or at least me and my Coach's version of a rest day: Friday, when all I have to do is go to swim practice and do core. And then workout 8 hours, go right to bed, get up at 5, go to my race, spin, go to swim practice, go to work until 10:30 pm, get up at 7 to be at work by 8, then work a 6 hour shift followed by a 2 hour bike ride and 30 minute transition run...
   Good thing I like to be busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment