Search This Blog

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Fogged In

Ah, the last day of vacation. The last day to lay on the beach, lounge, take lots of naps, and eat way more Rice Chips than can possibly be good for one human being. Except, what, IT'S FOGGY OUTSIDE?!?! That's right,folks, it is so foggy now that you actually can't really see past the shoreline. My family and I had kind of been expecting yesterday to be our last day on the sand, since they were calling for T-storms from today-Monday, but fog? Really? I mean, I would have been cool sitting in the main room having a family reading day while it rains cats and dogs outside, but when we are stuck doing nothing due to some hazy weather? Majorly lame, if you ask me.
    Since the beach/pool are basically out of the question today, I had planned on taking an AM spin class. Since the class didn't start until 7:45, I figured my 11 o'clock bedtime would give me more than the necessary rest needed to wake up at 6:45 so I would have time to get my crap together and walk to the gym. I mean, for goodness' sake, I wake up at 5:25 on a regular basis! I should be able to handle ONE early wakeup call on vacation, right? Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. That alarm went off at 6:45 and I pressed snooze. Five. Times. Before giving up and deciding that it was my last day of vacation and if my body was aching and sore and telling me it needed rest, you're darn tootin' I was going to slap off that alarm and go back to sleep.
   So, now I am sitting here, wondering what to do for my workout. I swam what could be construed as an "easy" 3500 yds yesterday afternoon, except for the 800 at "Fastest Possible Pace." I sort of wanted to slap my coach upside the head when he sent me that. 800 at nearly all-out? That's the same swimming distance as what you would do at a sprint-tri! And this is during practice! And my thighs are still sore! I swam the full set, but the 800 was pace, not all-out. In no way did I flub up the distance- you can bet your batooty that I swam my triceps off for 16 50's, but my endurance just isn't at the point yet where I can go balls-to-the-wall for that long with no one else to race/ pace with. That morning I had already done a 16-mile bike ride in the AM that left my quads and crotch a little.. shall we say, sore?, so that definitely did not help the swim set much. In fact, after EVERY bike ride here I have been sore. I think it's all the flat terrain, because back home, probably half of my rides are coasting down hills. Here, there are no hills. At all. So I am pedaling hard the. whole. time. Which is good, because I know I am building endurance and bike muscle that will only help me when my flat, flat race comes in September. But in the meantime? My legs need a break. And, in a very unlike-me fashion, I left my hardest two workouts of the week for last. (Seriously, I always try to get the crappy stuff over with first). So, now I have a 50 minute run with 2x10 minutes at 7:30 pace to do, and a 1:30 bike ride with high cadence intervals to knock out. By Monday. Because Monday everything goes back to normal: I go to Masters, then work, then another workout, and blah blah blah life goes on.
    What's a PB&J runner/triathlete to do? Well, for now, I am going to go get a swim workout in, but first, take a nap. Because this chick is going to make the most of her last vacation day. Even if it's foggier outside than my TV room windows after a home lifting session (yeah, I get that sweaty).

No comments:

Post a Comment