Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

Sore quads, Road trips, and Ocean Front Views

  As is a tradition in my family, we packed up the car yesterday and headed for the beach. I knew the trip was going to be good from the get-go because:
1. My Mom scored us an awesome, ocean-front condo
2. I came home on Friday night to see the "snack bag" for the week full of SF chocolate bars, Think Thin Chocolate Fudge bars, and Larabars
3. We got there and I found out they have Master Swim on Tuesday and Thursday evenings

    Unfortunately, we didn't get here until around 4:30pm yesterday, so our first couple hours were a frenzy of family grocery shopping and unpacking, but that left plenty of time before the trip to do my run and bike ride, and even more time while dinner was being made to do a 48 minute ab workout while watching " I Love You, Man." All in all, a great first day.

   The 10.3 mile, easy-ish run was done on the dreadmill due to thunder that occurred right when I put my socks on, but by the time I was finished, it had cleared up enough for me to take the bike outside and enjoy a nice, 7.65 mile, 40-minute bike ride around the neighborhood. Plus, early Sunday mornings mean less cars and more chances for me to fly down decents and scream WAHOOOOO at the top of my lungs without the rest of the neighborhood thinking I am completely insane. The only thing that put a slight downer on the ride was when I remembered my swimming coach telling me at practice yesterday of his 40 mile ride, 5 mile run, and 3000yd swim where he whupped my butt. That thought made me feel a wee bit unproductive.. until I remembered he's doing his first half-Iron in a month, so come.. August, I'll be doing 40 mile rides like they ain't no thang. I hope.

    Coach SuperW thinks I need rest and relaxation this week, so she only gave me 4 workouts to do. Obviously I understand I cannot be live 24/7, and I know that she did that on purpose so I wouldn't OD on training and waste all my time on my bike instead of in the ocean (although honestly, I love my bike so much I think I almost prefer it to the ocean), but now, with so much of my schedule left open, I am at a loss for what to do. I told her I'd catch up on the z's I am always missing now that I waste my nights away reading and foam rolling and then waking up at 5:25, so in honor of that committment, I slept in until 7:15 today. Felt like a slacker. I planned on swimming, but didn't get the workout my coach sent me until later in the morning, so I thought I would check out the spin classes they have at the resort.

   Except, oh wait, THERE ARE TWO FITNESS CENTERS AND IT DOESN'T SPECIFY WHICH ONE HOLDS THE SPIN CLASS. This may/may not have resulted in my walking around the main complex asking 4 different security guards where the spin class was, only to be told it was
a. in the community fitness center
b. outside
c. in the afformentioned fitness center
and, the correct answer, d. the fitness center a mile away.

 I took this as a disgruntling sign that I should go home, eat breakfast with my brother on the deck, take a two-hour nap, and then lounge away the day, before doing my swim and weights stuff later on, followed by a nice bike ride with my Dad before we all go out for crabs. I also may/may not have spent 2 hours looking at the Diamondman course and dissecting the swimming meet times of UDel's club team so I can have something to work toward. ***

     . I hate not having stuff to do, I hate not having a schedule, I hate not being productive, but it isn't everyday that you get to go to your favorite beach in the world with your fam, enjoy the sounds of the ocean at night, and nap whenever the heck you feel like it. Which I may just go do, again.




*** I know I am not the slowest swimmer, nor am I the fastest. Same with biking- I am no slow poke, but I know for a fact, because my Garmin has told me so, that I am not a speedster. Yet. I plan on using my ample free time to look up more strength training stuff I can do so that when I line up for my first club swim meet, my first club cycling ride, and my first Half-Iron in September, I am ready to KILL IT on the swim and bike, and CHICK THE HECK OUTTA THAT FIELD on the run. Not that I am competitive or anything...I just hate being beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment