Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

So. Much. Sun.

Ah, vacation. Waking up at 5:24 because you are trying to stay on the same schedule so that when you get back home you can still wake up on time for swim practice, falling back asleep until 6:16 when your coach texts you your swim workout for the day, falling back asleep until 6:36, deciding to press "snooze" 8 times, and eventually calling it all off and going back to sleep until 8:10.
    Restful morning, I know. Funnily enough, prior to the 11 or so wakeup calls this morning, my night's rest was quite peaceful. I decided to sleep out on the couch so I could be nearer to the deck and therefore nearer to the ocean sounds, and it was awesome falling asleep to the sound of waves crashing. I probably woke up the first four or so times to that sound, too, but by the 11th time, I just sort of jolted awake and realized that if I wanted to get in my hour long ride and half hour brick run before it got too hot, I should probably go put my cycling shorts on and get my A into G.
      The ride was good, though not as enjoyable as it would've been on the roads at home. It is totally flat where we are, which is good, since that mimics the terrain of the Diamondman course, but it makes the ride a lot tougher on my legs, since I coasted not once during the ride. That's right, it was pedal to the medal the. whole. time. Plus side? Did 15 miles in an hour!!! Down side? My legs felt like lead when I started the run. The strange part, though, was my pace during the brick run. 7:50 average!!! Either the track workouts are working, Endurolyte pills are a lot more effective than I thought, or the thought of cold gatorade and a PB&J is a lot more motivating than I though. Hoping it's the first one...
     The rest of the day was spent at the beach, napping and reading, before finally donning my TYR suit and schlepping it over to the pool. Did I mention the lap pool is a mile away? I have really been enjoying my walks there everday, but after today's 4000yd workout, I kind of wanted to lay down on the asphalt and nap rather than continuing on home for dinner.
     The workout was tough, but in a good way. My coach is steadily increasing my distance and decreasing my intervals, and while I may have uttered some mental expletives when I looked at the clock during one of my sets of 300 pace and realized I only had a 15 second breather, I know all this is only going to make me stronger. Plus, I love the feeling of collapsing onto the couch at the end of the day, knowing you accomplished so much that you deserve some butt-to-cushion contact. Speaking of which, Harry Potter is calling...

No comments:

Post a Comment