Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

One o' Those Days

Yesterday I woke up at a reasonable hour, 7:46, but decided that it's my vacation, and the only week I am allowing myself of a possible reduction in training until my Half-Iron. That's right, my only "rest" week until September. WHY AM I DOING THAT?!!!?, you might ask?
   A few reasons:
1. I absolutely hate relaxing, unless it means sleeping. There are rare occasions when I will lounge on the couch and read, but usually, if I am watching TV or doing something else "relaxing" or couch-potato like, I am doing it in conjunction with foam rolling, a workout on the bike trainer, or checking email. I know, I know, multi-tasking is bad for you, but so are a lot of other things.
2. I am making serious fitness gains at the moment, and just found out that there is only one other person in my age group for the Diamondman at the moment. That means that if I work hard enough, I can place in my first tri, and hopefully get some sponsorship and really get my athletic career going.
3. I love the intensity and busyness of my days, and as much fun as I am having spending time with my family and spending each day doing anything at all, I really like knowing where I'll be at each hour of the day.

Please tell me they have this where
you live, too??
    So, in honor of my "relaxation week," I basically slept all. day.. Sure, I got up and ate breakfast, but after that, I read for a while and went back to sleep. Then I woke up, ate lunch, read a little more, and went back to sleep. Did the same thing later on when I got a snack, read for a while, and took yet another nap. Around 4 I got my stuff together and headed to the lap pool for a 3800yd workout and some core stuff in the gym. I decided to switch my "easy" day from Friday toyesterday, since I didn't eat enough after my workout yesterday and took my exhaustion as a sign that I needed to refuel  with massive amounts of crab dip, and also allow my body time to get acclimated to the heat (it is actually so hot at home that the temperature today broke a record).

     I definitely think my electrolytes must be off, because we went out for crabs last night and I was literally licking the salt from the shells and devoured more than my fair share of the tortilla chips that came with our crab dip. Guess it's all Nuun and no more plain water for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment