Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

What a Week

     I love to lifeguard. Really, I do. I like that it's a fairly active job, with lots of going up and doing in the chair, walking around checking trash, sitting in a chair and reading, etc. However, when children poop in the bathroom and yours truly is forced to clean it up, the job ain't so hot. Last night, the country club I lifeguard for had a swim meet. At 4:45, the pool area filled up with hundreds of people (note: we do not have a very big pool area, so it ended up looking like a rock concert- lots of sweaty, excited people in tight black spandex), and though us guards like to think we are able to keep on top of the trash, bathrooms, and children, obviously sometimes stuff slips through the cracks (no pun intended...ew).
    So it was that the 8 10-year old boys who I saw crowding around the bathroom were indeed up to something as I had expected when I saw them, except that when I noticed them, I had just enough time to tell them to skidaddle before I had to haul booty back up to the chair for my shift. Mischevious little boogers that they were, I suspect that they were the culprits of the mess. My boss went " OH YEAH, FIRST POOP OF THE SEASON!" and while it does signify the official start of another summer at the pool, when you are on your 9th consecutive hour of work after an hour and a half masters practice, 31 minute 4 mile run, swim lessons, AND the lifeguard shift, celebration is not really the first thing that comes to mind when poop is discovered. Sleep, food, foam rolling, and a shower do, but not jumping up and down. 
    But other than THAT, this week has been fairly uneventful, if busy. Lots of training, lots of working, minimal rest. Tuesday's track workout was FREAKIN' AWESOME. Coach SuperW had told me to take Monday afternoon off from working out to prepare for a hard workout on Tuesday, and after she explained the workout that night, I totally got why. We did timed miles, so it was a mile warmup, a mile fast, 2 800s fast, 4 400s fast, then another mile fast. My last mile was actually faster than my first! And I beat my mile time from sophomore year field hockey tryouts! And I chicked the most muscular guy there!!!! Bascially, an awesome night.
    Unfortunately, today's separate run and spin on the trainer were condensed because my body wanted to sleep after it woke up at 6:45 and ate pancakes, and seeing as I worked for 10 hours yesterday and got maybe 5 hours of sleep the night before, I figured this was a good idea. What was not a good idea was the other nap I took from 2:45-4:45 after eating lunch, grocery shopping and attempting to find a gluten free, sugar free birthday cake for my papa. I had to hop on the treadmill, do my hour long run with 30 minutes of tempo pace, then go right to the bike. Insert cold sweat, lots of gatorade, and sore calves. And my compression socks are dirty. Do I take them out of the clothes hamper and wear them anyway...?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment