Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tighter than the Tin Man

That is really the only way to describe how my hip/groin area feels. It's like it needs to be oiled, let out, stretched, iced, massaged, all at once, which given my tendency to ignore my foam roller and do minimal stretching doesn't seem too possible.
  BUT I am going to be a smart runner and actually listen to what my coach, parents, and massage therapist told me and give the ol' groin a break. Except for the 5 miler I did tonight... but it was run-walking, so does that count as rest????

   I guess this week is actually good for me, taper-wise, since my legs will be super fresh for Saturday's half... Hopefully. I don't have much of a time goal since who knows how the hip will go, but I figured I would give myself a "range" to get in by:
1:43-1:50. Hopefully closer to 1:45ish, but who knows how race day will treat me. I am just going to enjoy the views, since it's basically ocean views for 13.1 straight miles, and soak up some serious sun since right now I am the color of this guy ----->

On a side note, remember how I said that I wanted exercise to be fun again? Day One of this goal=accomplished! Woke up at 5:30 (so late for me... I usually wake up at 5!!), grabbed my suit, and headed to the pool for 100 laps of pure awesomeness. I felt energized, refreshed, and really enjoyed my time gettin' wet. And today's run-walk? Though it was wrought with tightness and a little discomfort, it was still amazing. As soon as I took the pressure off of running, it turned right back into the instinctive, rhythmic exercise I loved. I alternated walking on an incline and running slower and then increasing the speed, and every minute of that run was complete BLISS. Plus, the incline reminded me of how much I LOVVVEEEE hills. Last summer I found a workout from Runner's World that had you run up to 12% incline at a slow pace in a ladder; so so hard but I am now totally craving that workout. I cannot wait to see what the coming weeks' runs bring me; finally, running and exercising are fun again (and yes, I did lift weights while watching the Hills again. Spencer and Heidi's drama is a total motivator)! So trashy. But So. Addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment