Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

Opposite Ends of the Magnet: The Positives and Negatives of the Last Monday of Break

Positives:                                                                                                  Negatives:
-lots of vegan Easter cake eaten                                                              -lots of vegan Easter cake eaten
-Beautiful weather this morning when I woke up!                                     -90 degree weather and a gym with
-an issue of Southern Living to accompany my Chocolate Oats                  no AC
-watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians with my Mom                    -screaming expletives at the family
-50 minute nap                                                                                        laptop when 10 minutes into
-watching the Hills from 3-4 and reminiscing about my 13 year                 Netflix Vinyasa Yoga it shut off
old self who watched the episodes the first time around                           -studying AP Environmental while
-sitting on the patio outside, under the umbrella, soaking up some             soaking up said sun
"safe" sun                                                                                           -having to do 2 ellip. sessions because
-sweating like a pig on the elliptical                                                         my hip is tighter than spandex
-making up a semi-new running schedule                                                -seeing everyone and their brother
                                                                                                                  out running

All in all, a good day, but I really hate it when it is perfect, if a little hot, weather and I can't lace up my Mizunos. Sure, I loved that the gym was empty-ish for once and I got to hog the Arc trainer, but I would have rather been out getting sweaty on the pavement.

  Since my psoas is being persnickety, today's sweat session involved yes, 2 hours of arc training, along with some arm weights and abs and pushups. Luckily, the sessions were split up, and luckily, I can zone out on that thing the same way I do on the treadmill, but the entire time I was on it, I was doing race-visualiztions, scheduling, and generally just torturing myself with running thoughts. GUESS WHAT?!
I did 50 pushups. Okay, 30 in one set and 20 in another, but helloooo biceps

My goal is one hundred in a row by my last day of school, in 4 weeks. It. Will. Happen.

In other news, I am in a running rut. Say that 5 times fast.
running rut running rut running rut running rut running rut

Don't get me wrong- I LOVEEEEE running. Love the mileage, love the pain, love the fatigue, love it. However, I love it even more when I am not sleep-deprived and my muscles are not screaming, as is often the case in the morning. The solution? I am making use of my Masters Swimming membership 3-4 times a week and am going to do 3-4 easy in the morning, then Swim! Then, in the afternoon, either a workout or another easy jaunt. That way, I still get the miles in, I get my swim on, and I mix it up a bit. I hate feeling tethered to the same routine and being afraid to break out of it, but as long as I keep up the mileage and the workouts, I think this plan will make me a happier camper.
Happy Campers!

And now, I have to go make my oatmeal for the car ride to school tomorrow, because I am wakin' up, hitting the 'mill for an easy 4, swimming, heading to school, and spending the afternoon doing an 8 mile tempo and weights while I watch the Hills and Paula Deen. Yes, I am extending my vacationy-feel as long as possible!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment