Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

Compression Socks, Trails, and a Demented Hip

Some days I really just want to detach my legs from my body. You know, give 'em a break while I go hop around for a while...NOT. I really just want to detach my left leg, the one that basically just drags behind me as I try desperately to make it run, walk, jump, and lift the way I want it to.
        I went on an interesting run yesterday morning with my friend, Jon. We headed up to a local, flat, crushed-rock trail, thinking of going for an easy 8 miles. We were both kind of gimps since my psoas is still tight, and he is trying minimalist shoes and stepped on a rock in them the other day, subsequently bruising his instep, so we thought we would just go nice and slow. Fast forward to 5 miles in and I am not any less tight than I was when we started, and we are both drenched in sweat because OH HEY IT IS SEVENTY FIVE DEGREES OUTSIDE. I had forgotten to start my watch after the turnaround, so I had no idea what pace we were going, but Jon looked down at his watch and informed us that we were running.... 9:50 pace! YIKES. That is a full minute and a half slower than I run my maintenance runs!!!!Fail.
   We finished the 8, and Jon informed me that I am walking with a limp... great. I am really trying to do the stretches and the strength exercises, but that darn little psoas just does not want to loosen up! It is really aggravating, because I don't want to take more time off, and I also don't necessarily think it would help, but I also don't want to injure myself. Decisions, decisions... perhaps I should do some yoga today?
The 'mill pre-run.
      The hip was mostly okay during my 16 mile progression run on Saturday, done inside because it was pouring (but then cleared up immediately after I finished-ugh!). I stopped a couple times to stretch it when I got more Powerade,  took a GU, then later a shot Blok. How many GUs do you all take when you do your long runs? I always read that you need 100 calories an hour, but I just can't stomach that!
Pre-run. Cluelessly smiling
before the pain sets in!!!
      The run was pretty good, though the last few miles were really tough, both mentally and physically. I haven't run more than 15 miles since November when I was training for my marathon, so I was a little nervous about finally go over that distance and hitting 16. I did the first 10 minutes of the run at 2% incline, with a pace of about 8:45, and then for the next 90 minutes, ran at 2.5% and deviated between an 8:45 and 8:55 pace, since at some points my legs got a little tired. I originally planned on switching up the incline every few minutes, but got overly competitive and thought "Hey, let's see how long I can last at this incline!" Smart one.
    The last 40 minutes were the toughest 40 minutes of any run I have ever done, excluding races, because all I really wanted to do was collapse into the shower with an ice bag over my legs. I increased the speed, though, and kept doing so until I did the last .5 at 8:00 pace, and then immediately after I finished, I literally collapsed in a heap on the treadmill. Okay, not really, but I did through my arms over the thing and take a breather.
Thankfully, we had tomato sauce and spinach in the fridge, which =pita pizzas! Perfect way to replenish carbs and make this sore, gimpy girl a happy camper. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go enjoy my last day of spring break, contemplate a tempo run vs. easy run, and try not to feel guilty for eating the vegan cake we had for Easter as my mid-morning "snack" 1/2 hour after breakfast...

No comments:

Post a Comment