Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2011

PR BABY

So last weekend's race was COMPLETELY. AWESOME.




Can you say 1:44:47 ?????

It was an awesome race, though not without kinks.
Kink Number 1: LAME expo. Almost no vendors, making pre-race shopping almost non-existent except for Arm-sleeves that ended up being too big and an awesome leopard-print headband.
Kink Number 2: The building where you could gather pre-race only had ONE DOOR open to exit. So one thousand or so peole had to exit through one door. Fire hazard, much?
Kink Number 3: Awards done by total time, not net time, so I was 6th in my age group even though I technically ran faster than the girl who finished 5th (yes I am that competitive).

The course was SO hilly, but I looked up the elevation beforehand and was prepared, or so I thought. The elevation map said big hills were to be expected at miles 3-4, 6-8, and 10-12, but the biggest hill was actually just before mile 6. It was about a .5 mile incline, and once you scaled up, you had to run another mile and then turn around and run back down, which equaled my quads SCREAMING. I tried to control my speed, but that baby was huuugee.

I tried to start the race conservatively, and was aiming for about an 8:15 pace, since my goal half isn't until later this month. I did about an 8:20 the first mile, then didn't look at my watch for a bit. Around mile 3, I looked down, and to my surprise, I was running a 7:45! I freaked out for a second, but then reassessed how my body was feeling, and the pace felt good. I decided to stick with it and see how long I could keep it up- if I could continue with it through the turnaround, I told myself I would make this my goal race and take the one later this month easy.

Well, mile 6.5 came and went and I felt AWESOME. I was chicking guys, passing girls, and running with people who I normally only see as they pass me on their way to the head of the group. The course stayed hilly throughout, but I actually like hills- they break up the monotony of race courses, and give you something to focus on.

By mile 12, however, my legs were SPENT. In a good way, of course, since I knew I had given it my all, but I had really wanted to sprint the end. I tried to pick it up as soon as I hit the mile 12 marker, but looked down at my watch and was only going about 6:35- more than 30 seconds slower than I like to do my last stretch of races. I tried to draw off the energy of the small bundles of people who lined the streets to the finish, and once I heard someone shout "down the hill, to the right, and you're finished!" you bet I kicked it into high gear. I saw the finish arches and pushed my tight, sore quads to the finish, and got to see my parents on my way in!! I could even hear them cheering my name- a totally awesome feeling.

Post-race, I chugged Gatorade and then some chocolate Muscle Milk, had the homemade bread they offered at the finish (that alone made me want to come back next year), and then waited in line for the free massages they were offered. Oh. My. God. MOST PAINFUL MASSAGE EVER. It helped in the end, because the guy loosened my quads a lot, but I was actually gripping the table I was in such pain. The hot shower right after made it better, though!! ( Another thing that makes me want to come back next year- a hot shower all to myself!). The fam and I went out to breakfast, walked around C-ville for a bit until it started raining, then headed off to Barnes and Noble for some book-buying! Basically, it was the best race of my life, and the book-buying and quality family time made it The. Best. Day. of my. Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment