Search This Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Things You Shouldn't Forget

Because I forgot to put on padded bike shorts during my 2 hour trainer ride on an incline and my butt totally suffered for the last hour and required large amounts of foam rolling and pillow-cushioning, I have compiled a list of everything you should NEVER forget during a triathlon-related workout... and yes, this list does include Peanut Butter:

for the swim:
-goggles
-swim cap
-bathing suit (note: I have nearly walked out of the house without this. I have also had bad dreams about going to Masters and stepping out of my shorts in front of everyone, only to realize I am actually in my undies, not my bathing suit)
-change of clothes ESPECIALLY UNDIES (I once thought I forgot undies and had to put on my wet bathing suit under dry gym shorts. Then, I went to get my shoes from the pool deck, and saw my undies lying on the table where we all throw our stuff. They had fallen out of my bag. Wonder if my coach noticed...)
-towel
-shampoo, conditioner, soap, body wash
-water bottle (had to go without this the day I got my wisdom teeth out. I was so thirsty by the end of practice that I actually considered drinking the disgusting pool water in which we regularly find strange, prehistoric-looking bugs)

for the run:
-gels (or PB toast, for those of you who have stomachs that do not rebel at the sight of solid food anywhere in the 2 hours before or after a run)
-water with nuun OR gatorade (really important not to forget this. During my first full, I only had 1 cup of water at each aid station, and never switched to gatorade. My sodium levels were so low that by the finish, my face had swollen up like a balloon..Exhibit A:
-shoes
-socks (I have run without these before. After 3 miles, I had blisters the size of Idaho. And no bandaids. And I was insane and decided I would stay at the gym and lift weights afterwards, so I just stuffed papertowels in my shoes to soak up the blood. Committed? Yes. Sane? Debatable.)
-clothes (although I have recently read of actual "naked" http://nakedpumpkinrun.org/home.htmlSounds chafetastic.)

for the bike:
-PADDED BIKE SHORTS PADDED BIKE SHORTS PADDED BIKE SHORTS
-fuel such as gels, water with perpetuem, shot bloks, etc.
-clips & pedals (I know that not everyone uses these, and I myself just recently purchased them, but after one ride I can offically say that I. am. hooked.)
-helmet
-sweet sunglasses (totally necessary, trust me. You wanna be the one nerd who isn't sporting sweet, standout shades?)
-a bike. including both wheels. (because yes, one time I was going to get my bike fixed and had taken the wheel off to put it in the car. And then locked the house and started the car without it....)









No comments:

Post a Comment