Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

BIG-A$$ Weekend

       This weekend was CRAZY busy. Friday night was my friend's birthday, which meant 3 am bed time. It was so much fun, until 5:30 am, when I suddenly woke up. Darn you, internal clock! I guess I am so used to waking up for swimming that I naturally get up at that time, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I made my best effort to go back to sleep after that. I got home around 8:15 am on Saturday, and had work at 10 and then had a play right after work to go to, so I knew that the 12 miles I had on the schedule had to be split up. A couple of months ago this would have totally thrown me for a loop; I was obsessive about my mileage and training to a T, but now, I know that time on my feet is time on my feet, and that though training is a major part of my life, it is not my entire life, and so it was that I set out for the first 4 of the 12 miles at the lovely time of 8:45. And that is not sarcasm, people- it was perfectly cool and breezy outside, and my legs felt better than they have in perhaps a week. My pace was 8 flat, and I felt fantastic despite little sleep and too many potato chips the night before.
    It did not stay cool, though, and by the time I got to work at 10, I was covered in sweat. Luckily I no longer care about the health of my hair, so I jumped right in the pool without even considering that I had just washed my hair an hour ago and was now subjecting it to chlorine that may/may not get washed out until Monday morning.
   The heat here can actually get a little oppressive at times, so by the time I got home at 3 I knew it was dreadmill time, because a run outside would most liekly result in decreased pace, increased crankyness, and me once again cursing how many inclines there are in my neighborhood (seriously, it's suburbia- I do not understand how there can be so many hills!!!). The pace was a little slower, but despite massive sun fatigue, I still kept it to an 8:20ish clip for the 4ish miles. I may have also been extra motivated by the extreme scandals on the Degrassi marathon on the TV- that show is SO dramatic.

Go see the movie. SO GOOD.

    Yesterday I somehow managed to wake up at 6:20 after getting home at 11 o'clock from a Midsummer Night's Dream. A brick was on the schedule, so I did a 20 mile ride in 1:30 and a 4 mile brick run in :30. Fastest. Brick. Run. Ever. Made even better by the fact that I had about 8 pancakes afterwards. After work I was supposed to do an open water swim clinic before going home and spinning for an hour and lifting for an hour and thirty minutes, but by 11 am I knew that nap>OWS. Plus, there's another clinic next weekend on the first Sunday I have had off since before I got my wisdom teeth out, so I can actually work out and keep my compression socks on instead of having to rip them off right when I go to work (apparently they aren't part of the lifeguard uniform.. then again, neither is the bike grease left on my legs during my shift yesterday. Yes, my boss noticed).

No comments:

Post a Comment