Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Alas, No More Wisdom

   Saturday's workout was amazing- I had to do a 2 hour ride on the trainer because I couldn't risk hitting uneven gravel or any hills that might cause me to clench my jaw, but the ride went along fairly smoothly since Moonstruck was on. The run that followed? HOLY. COW. IT WAS AWESOME! 2.75 miles in 20 minutes. I felt like I was flying! Sure, I had lead-leg after so much time on the bike, but I am starting to realize that I actually run better after a hard workout beforehand.
Examples:
Tuesday: Lifted right before my track workout, and ran solid 12x300s the entire time, with the last set of 4 faster than all of my previous ones.
Last week: Ran right after swim practice and kept up a sub-8 pace for 4 hot, sticky miles without water OR shade. Booya!

Favorite. Movie. Ever.

Got the wisdom teeth yanked on Wednesday. I took the earliest appointment they had, which was 8am, so thankfully I still had time to fit in a Master's practice. The gradually increasing soreness in my gluteal region provided a nice distraction from any anxiety I might have experienced about a dentist exploring my trap for an hour and yanking out pieces of bone. Alas, practice seemed to end too soon, with too little yardage, and I was left to rush up the stairs to the locker room, take a 5 minute shower, throw on clothes, drive home, and hop into my Dad's car to get to the appointment. Which only took an hour...
    Obviously one of the first things out of my mouth when I sat into the dentist's chair was "heyy when can I work out again?!" I proceeded to tell him that I am training for a triathlon, to which he responded "Wait... so you run, bike, AND swim?!" Yessir! Friday I was able to go back to swim practice, but my times were about 5 seconds slower. My coach always calls out our times at the end of our sets, and I was about to get out and rip the watch out of his hand instead of listening to "19.2" for my 25 time once again. 3 seconds off. What. The. Heck. And flip turns=major pressure in the jaw region. I had to switch to just touching the wall at the end of each lap, which annoyed the daylights out of me since it takes so much longer, but getting moving did feel awesome after 2 days of inactivity.
  I wish I could have enjoyed the fantastic weather we had today and gotten in my 90 minutes on foot, but my body was having none of it. I had heard that the 4th day post-op is often the worst, and BOY was that right. I couldn't sleep because I didn't take my Ibuprofen at 1am like I was supposed to (I have been taking it every 4 hours to keep down the soreness and swelling) so I got to writhe in soreness for two hours while the worst thunderstorm I have ever heard occurred right outside my window. Needless to say, I got no sleep last night and therefore slept away the entire day. Normally, I power through it and put on my gear because I know that once I get out onto the pavement, I will feel better, but I knew that today was not one of those days. My body needs to heal, and if I want it to continue to perform at work and during 21 hour training weeks, I better let it sleep from 1:30-4 if it needs to.
   Of course all the downtime just gave me ample time to look up races and now I am HUNGRY for another triathlon to train for after Diamondman. Yes, I do know what an offseason is. I just don't take them...

No comments:

Post a Comment