Search This Blog

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Go Blue Hens!!!

Hey Bloggies!
  So, in honor of my (almost) official status as a member of the freshmen Class of 2015 at University of Delaware, I decided this entire post is going to be written in Blue-Hen blue.
   Delaware? What happened to UVA?
Well, yesterday, after wasting as much time as possible at the gym so as not to spend time sitting in front of my computer waiting for it to turn 5 o'clock, I scampered on home, hair dripping from the pool, and checked my UVA student account to see what the verdict was: rejected. Yes, I was a little bummed, yes, I cried a little, but life has its way of working out, and I truly believe that this is the way it was meant to be.
   I had told my parents Thursday night that last night was to be a celebration no matter what, because the UVA decision signified the end of the decision process, since it came down to just UVA and UDel. So, we had an Indian feast and watched Eagle Eye, which is probably the most intense movie I have ever seen in my life!  I may have gone to bed at 11 o'clock just so I could see the ending...

   I woke up this morning with plans for a 16 mile progession run, and intended on doing it basically until about 15 minutes before I was supposed to leave. My knee felt funny when I woke up, so I iced it for an hour this morning, but it just felt locked up and puffy, and when that feeling still wasn't gone at 7:00, I decided to be cautious and do the progression run tomorrow and do my easy 9-miler today. Of course, I went back to bed first, for another 2 hours, and then spent the day in a daze between looking up housing assignment info., eating lunch, reading the paper, and sleeping for another 2 hours (gee, I think this is my body telling me perhaps 6 hours ISN'T enough on a daily basis). I hopped off to the gym around 3 to do 100 minutes of arc-training while reading Frances Mayes' book A Year in the World.  I love her books; she writes so honestly and beautifully about her experiences, and her descriptions are such that you can almost taste the tapas, churros, and capuccinos she devours in this book! By the time I got off the Arctrainer, the book and the FoodNetwork shows I had been watching had made me STARVING.
   Naturally I devoured pb&crackers when I got home before hopping on the 'mill for a lovely, slow, hilly 9-miler. Proof that my stomach problems are due to anxiety: I started running maybe 20 minutes after shoving more Kashi crackers and PB in my mouth than humanly possible, and was met with no stomach problems other than hunger during the run! A banana-flavored Hammer gel solved that, though.
   I enjoyed another wonderful Indian feast like the one below, which I had for lunch, and now I am watching Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, and looking at marathons and halves to train for in college, because let's be real here, I am not going to be able to race NEARLY as much as I do now. I kind of want to pick a couple of big races to train for, and then focus on high mileage and more speedwork during the schoolyear. Might still have to come home for the local running fest. though- it's the only time the city is safe enough to freely meander around!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment