Search This Blog

Monday, October 31, 2011

So Not a PR

Besides eating not enough too much pizza and cookies and pancakes yesterday, I also did a 5k race with my parents. My Mom walked it (but she is in training for her first 5k on Thanksgiving- GO MOM!) and my Dad ran it with me. When we got to the start it was 36 degrees. This made for a very, very cold Emily. So cold I had on my double-layer running gloves, fleece running pullover, and longsleeve shirt. But not tights, because God  forbid I actually do laundry frequently enough to have running tights available when I need them.
   They had to delay the start by 10 minutes because the course was so icy and they figured allowing the sun a couple more minutes to melt the white stuff might help people not slip and fall and break things. Turns out they were right, sort of, because though the roads in the park were very very icy when my Dad and I were jogging to the pavilion to warm up beforehand, by the time we got to the same point during the race, there was hardly any slipping and sliding. There were 3 or 4 other spots, though, that just screamed "danger, Will Robinson," so I took it nice and slow on those parts, because I'd rather sacrifice seconds than twist something.. again (trail run on Friday... rolled my left ankle THREE times. Good thing I was wearing stiff shoes!).
   I ended up with a fairly respectable time considering the ice and the fact that I hate 5ks, but all during the race, I was thinking
-Running fast sucks
-I hate 5ks
- I wish this were a half
-or an ultra.
- Running fast makes my stomach go wack-o
-How in the world is it not over yet?!
- I want a bagel
-NO TO TRACK IN THE SPRING.
    Apparently everyone else went pretty slowly too, because I somehow got 2nd woman overall with a time that normally wouldn't even put me in age group standings. Pretty awesome, especially since I got a glass mug as the award. Hello root beer floats!
    I am continuing to vacillate between wanting to do track and not wanting to do it, but I think I might just suck it up and try it. Worst comes to worst I stop if I don't like it, right? I mean, as long as I can still sneak in 17-23 milers on our days off I'm good. Plus, I did love my summer track workouts. But that was partly due to the fact that I had Lil' Wayne blasting in my ears through all my 400's...

No comments:

Post a Comment